Thursday, November 22, 2007

Can You Guess the Most Expensive Part of Google Homepage ??

Have you ever tried that "I’m feeling Lucky" button on Google? It doesn’t do any voodoo, but it just skips the search result page and takes you directly to the first result. You could save few microseconds this way, but Google loses a chance to show search ads.

So how much does Google lose by not showing ads on search result page? Google executive, Marissa Mayer, has confirmed that 1 percent of all searches done on Google are via "I’m feeling Lucky" button. According to estimates from Rapt’s Tom Chavez, Google annually loses $110 million in ad revenue this way.

Not too much for a company like Google, but still it’s a lot of money right? Marissa Mayer says "It’s possible to become too dry, too corporate, too much about making money. I think what’s delightful about ‘I’m Feeling Lucky’ is that it reminds you there are real people here".

This leaves me wondering how much AdBlock Plus is costing Google in ad revenues!

[via: Valleywag ]

2 comments:

Neel Pori said...

I always wondered what feature that served. Thanks Shaon =) I sure do learn a lot from you.

I see you're back in touch with your blog and have time to update frequently. I am glad and am looking forward to more new, informative and exciting posts!

Blogger said...

Get daily suggestions and methods for making THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day ONLINE for FREE.
GET FREE ACCESS TODAY